help with Fedora core 7 dial-up connection

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 22:32:08 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: E. Robert Tisdale <edwin at netwood.net>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 2:16:41 PM
Subject: help with Fedora core 7 dial-up connection

I have installed Fedora Core 7 on my hp pavillion a730n desktop computer
with a U.S.Robotics(Mod - 5610B) internal modem (PCI bus) and on another
older computer with a 56K Fles Rockwell internal modem (ISA bus).

I don't think that either system detects the internal modem (there is no
/dev/modem).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Robert,

   Have you checked the LinModems Suport Page.  There is a utility called scanModem which you can get

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

copy it to your linux partition
# gunzip scanModem.gz
# chmod +x scanModem
# ./scanModem

will generate a Modem/ folder in which ModemData.txt gets generated and it will tell you which modem driver you need if there is one for your modem(s).  You will need to subscribe to the list discuss at linmodems.org to send in your ModemData.txt or send it to me off the list so that we can try to help you out.

Depending on which chipset is included the
U.S.Robotics(Mod - 5610B) internal modem (PCI bus)
modem might be supported by the serial driver, have support through linuxant(not free) only 14.4KBs and No support.

Regards,

Antonio