MPEG-4 movie resolution conversion: which software and how

Andreas Bernauer fedora at lysium.de
Mon Jun 11 09:37:06 UTC 2007

Rob wrote on Sun, Jun 10 2007 at 23:13 (-0700):
> For example:
> I have a mp4 file of QVGA resolution (320x240);
> how can I convert this to QCIF ?

Mencoder can do this (comes with mplayer, extra package mencoder from
livna or atrpm)

mencoder -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=...:abitrate=... -o movie.avi original.avi

Can (re)encode original.avi to movie.avi (here with the lavc driver).
vbitrate and abitrate specify the video and audio bitrate,
respectively.

I've never changed resolution, but the -vf filter with the dsize
option seems to be what you are looking for.  See the mencoder(1) man
page (excerpt):

VIDEO FILTERS
       Video  filters allow you to modify the video stream and its properties.  The syntax
       is:

       -vf <filter1[=parameter1:parameter2:...],filter2,...>
              Setup a chain of video filters.

where the filter you are looking for are

       scale[=w:h[...]]

or

       dsize[=aspect|w:h:aspect-method:r]

Cheers,