New kernels (was Why I'm not giving up yet)

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon Jun 11 12:26:17 UTC 2007

At 10:17 AM 6/10/2007, Jeffrey Ross wrote:

<JR>>>>>I see that kernel 2.6.21-1.3226 is now available for download along
with a bunch of Gnome updates.<<<<<

What is the safest way to update the kernel?

I assume it is via the F7 "Software Updater" facility (designed
specifically for updating packages and, one would assume, updating the
kernel).  However when I call up Software Updater I see the Gnome updates
that Jeffrey mentioned but I don't see any kernel updates.

I can update (and have in the past updated, on various Fedora
installations) the kernel using
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel, but I have no need to
build custom kernels at this time and anyway I'm not entirely certain that
all artifacts (e.g. kernel source, module links, etc.) are completely
updated using that process, whereas I assume that Software Updater takes
care of all of that.

For the record, I have (so far) had no trouble with the 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
kernel (which has been reported here as "buggy") on VMware 6.0 on a Windows
XP host, but on the other hand I haven't exactly been pushing it to its
limits...