Cloning an LVM, Booting It Over USB

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 11 20:44:36 UTC 2007

Here I go again trying to work sideways with my friend LVM. Last night I
spent several hours cloning my Fedora Core 5 system (residing on a 400
Gb hard drive) to a Western Digital MyBook Premium Edition ES 500 Gb
external hard drive. I cloned this drive using the g4u software product
over USB. There were some rather weird messages on netBSD bootup when it
tried reading the MyBook drive, but g4u did seem to clone the source
drive to the MyBook sucessfully. This process took several hours.

Now I would like to test whether I really did clone it successfully. The
LVM I cloned is

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

I should be able to plug the MyBook into a USB slot on my other machine
which is running CentOS  4.5. The CentOS installation has this LVM:

/dev/VolGroup25/LogVol24

My theory is I should now be able to boot FC5 over USB from the MyBook
with no corruption of the LVMs, right? They will be seen as totally
separate from each other? Is this correct or am I misunderstanding LVM
in yet another way?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA