Advice on upgrading FC6 to F7

»Steven Ringwald« asric at asric.com
Tue Jun 12 20:47:08 UTC 2007

Sultan Saini wrote:
> I am currently running FC6  + kernel 2.6.22rc3 prepatch. This kernel
> is set up nicely for me and I've gotten everything working that I
> needed to. I'm reluctant to upgrade to FC7 because of the possible
> downtime involved. However, I do have two other kernels installed
> (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 & 2.6.20-1.2948) that I don't mind messing with.
>
> Is it possible to upgrade just one of those kernels to FC7 without
> affecting my 'working' kernel? And if so, would it be saner to upgrade
> using the dvd or yum?
>
> Forgive my noobness - I'm a recovering Windows user :)

My advice, for what it is worth, is to not mess with a running system
unless you have to. FC6 sounds like it is working for you, and it will
be supported for at least another six months (until F8 comes out). When
I am counseling someone on upgrading, I have them look at the release
notes to decide if there is something in the new version that they
*need*, because there is always a little hassle involved in upgrading a
system. I personally will wait about a month or so after release to
think about deployment, just because there is always some minor issue.

Steve