Dual head with different color depth

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 13 11:06:42 UTC 2007

Chu Tan wrote:
> I've a newer AGP card and an old 2mb ATI mach64 PCI card.
>
> The best I could do is to setup the AGP at 24bit depth, while the PCI at
> 8bit depth, both 1280x1024.
>
> However, my applications cannot move between the screens. I can move
> icons on the desktop across, but not physical window frames.
>
> Any suggestion?

My dual head works as you describe. Only the icons can be transferred
from screen to screen. I thought this to be normal behavior for the
server since there are two independent desktops.

Regarding your color depth limitation, I am not sure why one screen is
limited to 8-bit. your Xorg.0.log may reveal clues as to wy the
limitation on the one head.

Jim