Shutting down Fedora-7

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Jun 13 18:27:35 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 19:22, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> No.
> >> But I never used to in any previous version of Fedora,
> >> and it never caused any problem,
> >> or resulted in this warning.
> >> I assumed that Firefox closed properly when sent some signal.
> >>
> >> Has there in fact been a change
> >> either in Fedora or in Firefox
> >> to cause this behaviour?
> >>
> >> Timothy Murphy
> >
> > Ok. I have the same problem on Debian, where, if I leave Firefox open
> > when I shutdown, when I reboot, I get this warning message saying "what
> > do you want to do".
> >
> > After some time in Firefox's about:config, and also on the site at
> > mozillazine.org, I found this.
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.startup.page
> >
> > This has fixed the problem for me. Now when I shutdown with Firefox open,
> > and displaying a webpage, I reboot, and Firefox restores the session,
> > still displaying the webpage that was there when I shutdown, but now with
> > no message box.
> >
> > The procedure:
> >
> > Go to about:config in Firefox. Scroll down a bit to
> > browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash
> >
> > Double click on it, to change it from true to false.
> >
> > 5 lines down at, browser.startup.page, double click again, and enter 2 in
> > the dialog box that appears.
> >
> > That appears to fix the problem. Logged out, and back in, and Firefox is
> > there with the previous webpage showing. Shutdown, then rebooted. Same
> > thing. I havn't done a hard reset, or unplugged the machine to simulate a
> > power out to see if FF still comes back ok though. At least it gets rid
> > of that message box every time I boot up.
>
> But then you lose your session when Firefox does crash. Why not just
> shutdown Firefox before rebooting? :-)

I run quite a few Linux disro's on my 2 machines, and IIRC Firefox has never
crashed. I've had KDE's Konqueror crash, but IIRC never Firefox.

Just for the hell of it, I've just done a hard reset with Debian Lenny, and
upon booting up, Firefox has come back with the previous webpage still
showing.

Yes, I could shutdown Firefox before shutting down, but am trying to improve
my French, so leave Firefox open on desktop 2, and connected to
http://www.wordreference.com . I'm reading, and answering (from time to time)
questions on French mailing lists, so having the dictionary available on the
other machine is usefull.

> > Nigel.
> >
> > btw. Earlier versions of FF appeared to be using this.
> >
> > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessionstore.resume_session
>
> That page clearly states:
>
> Firefox 2 introduces a built-in Session Restore feature

If you look at this section of the page you will see that some changes have
been made.

<quote>
Background

Firefox 2 introduces a built-in Session Restore feature, allowing the user to
continue browsing from where they left off if browser restarts. This
preference used to control whether the last saved session is restored each
time the browser starts.

It has been superseded by browser.startup.page in builds with bug 340898 fixed
(Firefox 2 beta 2 and later, or nightly builds after July 19, 2006).

<end quote>

I'm not trying to start an argument here. All I know is that the changes I've
made in about:config have got rid of the message box, asking me if I want to
start a new session, or restore the existing one, and Firefox is available on
desktop 2, and is connected to http://www.wordreference.com.

I presume the suggestion I made to Timothy Murphy will work on Fedora. There's
no reason why not, as Firefox is not distro related. I'll try the same fix
with Firefox on FC5, and FC6 later on, also on FC2 that I'm emailing from.

Nigel.