Can't print with Samsung ML-1250 on Fedora 7

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Thu Jun 14 01:07:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:39:43 -0600
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:25:52 -0500
> "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net> wrote:
>
> > Since printing has always worked so beautifully for me before, I
> > don't know anything about fixing it on my own :)  I have haunted
> > Google ever since Fedora 7 was released and I have found nothing
> > that seems to apply to my situation.
>
> You may want to point your web browser at:
>
> http://localhost:631
>
> and see if you can find anything interesting.  For example, is your
> printer stopped?

Hello, Frank
I went to http://localhost:631/printers/ and this is what I saw:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-001.jpg

As you can see, the printer appears to be running.  Just for fun, I
clicked on "Print Test Page" (which I have done many times before since
I installed Fedora 7)  Here is the initial result:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-002.jpg
As you can see, the message (at least for now...) states that the job
is printing.

After a few seconds, the page refreshes and this is the result:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-003.jpg
OK..  So now the printer is "not connected."
So I go back to:
http://localhost:631/printers/
to check the printer status.  The result is the same as:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-003.jpg

If I go to:
http://localhost:631/admin
the result is as follows:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-004.jpg
You will notice a mysterious looking printer named:
Samsung ML-1250 (Samsung ML-1250)
It's presence next to a button labeled "Add This Printer" implies that
it has dectected a printer that is not yet installed.  So I will
proceed to click "Add This Printer" and see what happens...
I followed the steps, adding the reccomended driver, and I was greeted
with messages that asserted that the printer had successfully been
added (remember, it's the same physical printer that Cups/Hal dectects
automatically.  Also, this is a locally connected printer, not shared
with any other computer.)  It then takes me to a page to set the
printer options.  The only change I decide to make is that I change
"Error Policy" from "stop-printer" to "retry-job"  (Because you are
probably wondering, the printer that I started this thread about has
that option set to "stop-printer")  The result when I try to print a
test page is as follows:

Error:

    Quota limit reached.

I then changed the "Error Policy" setting on the printer that had been
automatically detected and installed when I booted the computer.  I did
NOT get the same error message that I just quoted above...  I get the
same result that you already saw in the following screenshot:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/cups-screenshot-003.jpg

Here are links to the current Cups logs:
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/20070613-01-access_log
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/20070613-01-error_log
http://www.afolkey2.net/Projects/cups/20070613-01-page_log

If there are any other ideas, I am more than willing to try them.

Steven P. Ulrick

--
 19:15:57 up 4 days, 4 min,  4 users,  load average: 1.69, 1.51, 0.91