Audio failure, Lenovo 3000 N100

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jun 14 14:28:32 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:
>>> With FC7 running on this lappy, no audio is available.  The sound
>>> configuration shows the device correctly as does lspci:
>>>

>> options snd cards_limit=8
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>> options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack
>>

>> No changes were noted and I still don't have sound.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> For Suse, but same machine,
> <http://www.ggolec.netcom.jaw.pl/?page_id=30>
>
> Add to /etc/modptobe.d/sound
> options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd
>

> Samsung Q35 but same chipset (FC5),
> <http://www.puzzle.ch/samsung_q35.html>
>
> Add to
> /etc/modprobe.conf
> options snd-hda-intel index=0 single_cmd=1 model=laptop-eapd
>
> See also <http://tuxmobil.org/lenovo.html>, unfortunately
> there isn't a Fedora install there for the 3000 N100.
> The "model=laptop-eapd" appears in all the guides I've
> looked at so far though.

What makes it tough is that the same chipset can be configured in
different ways, and unless the driver knows about your
configuration, you have to tell it what the configuration using the
options. (From what I understand, the laptop manufacturer decides
what gets connected to what pin, and how many of them get used.)
Eventually we may end up with a nice table where the installer can
pick the correct options for you...

Mikkel