monitoring internet traffic

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Thu Jun 14 16:56:55 UTC 2007

On 06/14/07 05:24:34, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 09:30 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
>>
>>> My Internet connection is via a satellite service that throttles
>>> the  connection once I exceed a number of Mb. I'd like to monitor
>>> this so
>>> as to avoid unpleasant surprises.
>>
>> It might be worth seeing if there's a specific bandwidth meter for
>> your
>> ISP.  My ISP has one for Windows that shows up in its system tray,
>> someone else made a Java applet that runs on everything that does the
>> same thing.  They're not the only ISP with tools like that.  It logs
>> into your account, and extracts some data periodically, and draws up
>> little graph.
>>

> I don't know if this works with Hughes but someone provided this to
> me and it works perfectly with Wildblue's FAP data.
>
> From my notes:
[snip]

The applet is a great idea. I've made a temporary fix with a script
that extracts the data from /proc/net/dev, which at least gets the
situation under control. My ISP (Hughes) does not acknowledge the
existence of Linux, so I can forget about any help in that area. Even
worse, the data that they provide is late by an hour or more, so if I
exceed their limit, I'm back to modem speeds for a day before I know it.