Mounting USB storage devices

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Jun 15 12:53:14 UTC 2007

On Wednesday June 13 2007 1:33:57 pm Terry Polzin wrote:
> When I mount a USB memory device whether it be a key or a hd in an enclosue
> as a mortal user (in KDE) I get a pop-up after the mount dialogue stating
> that /media/X is a folder but a file is expected.  The device mounts, I
> just don't get a display of the contents.  Mounting the same device as root
> in KDE works without error.
>
> Am I dealing with a HAL issue or a KDE issue?

After working perfectly on my FC6 box for months, mine started doing the same
thing. I then noticed that hald was failing to start during one bootup. I
also found that I couldn't start it manually 'service haldaemon restart' - I
tried 'setenforce 0' (to turn off Selinux), and that permitted haldaemon to
start. I went into selinux configuration and turned off all enforcing against
haldaemon, and that permitted it to start at boot time. However, it's still
not auto-mounting in KDE -- I get the dialog window after I plug the device
in, I tell it to 'mount in new window' and it opens the new window, but the
device contents aren't displayed - that's the way I left it yesterday. I
posted about this in a different thread, but got no responses. I just tried
my pendrive in this machine, which is a fairly new 12 days old F7 install,
and mounting worked perfectly. So, I'd say something did change with either
Selinux or Hal - but I can't put my finger on it

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.