Updates

John bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sat Jun 16 00:03:13 UTC 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 08:33:14 Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 12:22 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > I had to load a new FC6 on my laptop and when I brought it up the
> > Package Updater told me there was 277 Updates! I see they are many of
> > them just replacement RPM's of the whole thing. I used to hate Windows
> > for all their update packages :-)
>
> At least with Linux, the updates replace the broken stuff on your
> machine, and you don't need to hang onto to the update packages.  ;-)
>
> I've watched Windows fill up the drive with downloaded patches that you
> must keep on the drive, and it applies some patches on top of what it's
> doing each run-time (booting gets slower and slower).
>
> --
> (This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case
> that's important to the thread.)

I have just re-installed windoz on a friends machine. It took a little less
than an hour to install and almost 6 hours on a 7.5Mb broad band connection
to do all the updates. Down load 2/3 updates, reboot. Down load 2/3 updates
reboot over and over. When was the last time you had to reboot after doing an
update on Linux, perhaps after up dating the kernel. Of course if you are
running a pirate copy of windox XP one of those so called update is a program
that continuously reminds you that you do not have a legal copy and makes you
wait a short time before it lets you use your computer. Also when has
updating two of your networked computers in Linux brought down your whole
network for a week?
--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of parliment
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)