Locale using system-config-language

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 17 07:47:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 00:10 +0100, Ian Chapman wrote:
> How to i set the locale using system-config-language? The only option
> it gives me is English (USA)? I'm assuming I must be missing some
> locale packages but trawling the repos with yum reveals nothing
> obvious.

I don't recall finding a way to do that.  However, the languages choice
on the GDM greeter screen (where you first login) lets you pick your
locale.  And does so, whether or not there's a specific language pack
installed for it.  e.g. You can set en-AU, and get it, even if there's
no Australian-specific English language pack on the box.

> More to the point, it would seem sensible to me if it at least offered
> the user to install more locales or provided a pointer on how to
> install more locales.

I agree, and it's an old complaint that it was difficult to add such
things post-install.  You're also out of luck if there isn't a package
for the locale that you want.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.