Portsentry & apcupsd & Fedora 7

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 17 09:42:33 UTC 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>It wasn't quite 50 errors but here is the output:
>>
>>]# ls
>>CHANGES     portsentry.c         portsentry_io.c     README.COMPAT
>>CREDITS     portsentry.conf      portsentry_io.h     README.install
>>ignore.csh  portsentry_config.h  portsentry_tcpip.h  README.methods
>>LICENSE     portsentry.h         portsentry_util.c   README.stealth
>>Makefile    portsentry.ignore    portsentry_util.h
>>[root at bilonick portsentry_beta]# make linux
>>SYSTYPE=linux
>>Making
>>cc -O -Wall -DLINUX -DSUPPORT_STEALTH -o ./portsentry ./portsentry.c \
>>                ./portsentry_io.c ./portsentry_util.c
>>./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeTCP’:
>>./portsentry.c:1187: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of
>>‘accept’ differ in signedness
>>./portsentry.c: In function ‘PortSentryModeUDP’:
>>./portsentry.c:1384: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 6 of
>>‘recvfrom’ differ in signedness
>>./portsentry.c: In function ‘Usage’:
>>./portsentry.c:1584: error: missing terminating " character
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: ‘sourceforget’ undeclared (first use in this
>>function)
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
>>once
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: for each function it appears in.)
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘dot’
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: stray ‘\’ in program
>>./portsentry.c:1585: error: missing terminating " character
>>./portsentry.c:1595: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘}’ token
>>make: *** [linux] Error 1
>
>As an old portsentry fan I had to go take a look at it again, and I found
> that file's line 1585 to have been mangled by a line wrapper function in
> somebodies editor.  Pull the next line up to make a long line out of it,
> and for completeness, delete the final t in "sourceforget".  No idea where
> that came from.  Then see if it will build.
>
>And now I'm wondering if the whole archive file hasn't been compromised, I
>just found another reference to sourceforget.net in the README.install.
>There is such a site, but it has no connection to portsentry.
>
>For that reason, I added craigrowland at users dot sourceforge dot net to
> the To: list above.  Maybe he can refresh that file on sourceforge and
> restore our paranoia.  However, I note that the bugtracker has an entry,
> unresolved, dated in October of 2003, the year it was moved to sourceforge.
>
>I liked portsentry.  Between that, iptables and tcpwrappers, nothing got
> past an old rh7.3 box I used for a firewall for 5 or 6 years.  The logs
> said many thousands tried though.  But even that was cut back by 99.9% when
> I got dsl, found roaring penguins PPPoE was crap and bought a linksys
> BEFSR41 router. It then stopped the huge majority of that crap.  Now I'm
> using dd-wrt on another old box to replace both of those boxes, and its
> just as bulletproof & uses 300 watts less power...

And I regret to say that craigrowland at sourceforge dot net apparently
aliases to crowland at cisco dot com, and then bounces with a 551, unknown
user.  I went to google and found him as Craig H. Rowland, but nothing newer
than 2003 seems to be extant on the net, like he has simply ceased to exist.

So fix it as above, but at this point it appears that code is in need of a new
maintainer.  The license is the CPL, not GPL, so read it carefully.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)