gMFSK and rpm packaging

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jun 17 11:33:43 UTC 2007

David Timms wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    Today I took a Tarball called gMFSK which was last checked out on
>> Red Hat 9, and with the help of many on this list I ./configure --
>> xxx  --xxxx and when that went clean I used "make" and that errored
>> out because I was missing a stupid thing I yummed from Fedora. Then
>> as root I make install and that worked. Right now it is using the
>> sound card to decode PSK-31 from my radio on 14.070 MHz. This was the
>> fastest I ever got this working on a new Linux version.
>>
>>    You can be sure when Hemmi wrote this software Fedora was not
>> invented. And be sure that F7 is Linux first and Fedora for
>> applications and such second. I need help with both Linux and Fedora
>> Core 6 applications and I sure get them here :-)
> Hi Karl,
>
> Community members who hang out here much appreciate the positive vibe :)
>
> Sounds like a cool piece of software. Have you had any experience in
> packaging software into an rpm ?
> It isn't really that hard to do {but can be intimidating}, and it
> seems that there are already rpms for other distributions that could
> be used as a starting point.
>
> What would you get out of it ?
> In the future you or any fedora user would be able to:
> yum install gMFSK and the software would "just work".
>
> While I am willing to help, I don't have the hardware to test with, so
> you would need to be involved.
>
> DaveT.

    Hi DaveT. I made a rpm about 5 years ago and I did print out Maximum
RPM. But this software is for Amateur Radio which is a hobby that is
going to fail. There are very few users these days. But I chatted with
the Canary Islands last evening using this software. What I yummed was
fftw which is a math program for Linux and Windows.

    That said I will be happy to get help making the RPM. I have never
made a list of dependants for a RPM.

Karl