F7 auto-rebooting unasked

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Jun 17 16:46:37 UTC 2007

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 14:27:44 +0200, Andreas Bernauer wrote:

> Beartooth wrote on Sat, Jun 09 2007 at 15:54 (+0000):
[...]
>> I have also made sure that the screensaver does *not* lock my screen --
>> I have no need of that feature, and therefore find it a mere
>> superfluous irritation. (No one else ever touches any machine of mine.)

Correction 1 : I've done everything I can find or think of -- but that
might not mean it isn't locking it. If you go into the Configuration
Editor, for instance, there are an awful lot of settings that may be
relevant; and I remember a release of FC when it took something like one
of them to keep the fool thing from locking me out.

However : Update : it is now logging me out, but not rebooting. After a
fairly short while, I get a login screen, which when given userid and
password tries to restore not what i was just doing, but some recent
session a day or so before that.

>> So I'm pretty sure the problem (in at least the case where a problem is
>> confirmed) is actual full rebooting, not just a lock nor a logout.

Not true any more. Still irritating, but not quite so much time being
wasted trying to get back to where I left off.

> My X server kicks me out every now and then, too.  The reason here is a
> the buggy fglrx driver which has a memory whole.  When it uses up all
> the memory (eg. when I watch movies), the X server restarts.

I don't do video at all. I seldom do moving images of any sort, or sound
either. I might sometimes let this machine play a music CD in the
background -- I should, in fact -- but I haven't been doing so lately.

Fwiw, it has a 36 GB hard drive and the system monitor says it has 994.8
MiB of memory. But I have no idea what a fglrx driver is, nor whether
anything I run uses one.