Window manager gone again?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jun 18 00:46:16 UTC 2007

Knute Johnson wrote:
> I ran yum today and did a bunch of updates.  I was hoping that it
> would fix the problem of the nvidia driver being started twice but it
> didn't.  The nvidia logo screen displays before all the startup
> messages and again before it asks for your user name and password.
> Now when I finally log in the windows have no title bar.  Typing
> 'metacity' in a terminal fixes it but only for that session.  If I
> switch to my Xfce window manager it works fine but when I come back to
> gnome it is hosed.  Any ideas where to start to try to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> knute...

    Hi Knute, love that name. I'm Danish and my dad when he went through
Ellis Island they "fixed" his name from Frode to Fred.

    You didn't mention which version of Fedora you have. Please tell us
that. Your problem sounds very serious and may require a new loading of
your computer.

    I am using Fedora Core 6 and right now and for the last 6 hours I
have been getting 600 MB of updates in 450 packages. Takes a lot of time.

    After the updates my computer may not come up at all :-)

Karl Larsen