Incoming IMAP Hackers?

chris at idlelion.net chris at idlelion.net
Mon Jun 18 15:06:31 UTC 2007

As I sat in my office this morning perusing the interwebs, my server
started making a lot of noise. (It has very noisy hard drives.) I looked
in the logs and saw repeated requests to connect to my IMAP server using
guessed user names. All the authentications were failing, but it increased
the load on the poor box and delayed its responsiveness to me.

It was fairly simple to manually add an IPtable rule to block this one IP
address, and the attack stopped.

But I cannot think of a reason someone would want access to IMAP accounts.
What purpose would this serve?

Chris