How to use flash drive ?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jun 18 15:48:37 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 16:21 -0400, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
>> Eureka, it works, I transferred the thunderbird Mail directory form this
>> FC-6 box6 to the F-7 thunderbird on the old box10 and now it a clone of
>> this one, mail filters and all!
>>
>> So I have demonstrated, to myself, that I can do it with the flash drive
>> despite its fat32 file system!
>
> Remember to check permissions when you move file back off from FAT to
> EXT3.  You probably don't want all your files and directories showing up
> with permissions of:  rwxrwxrwx

and some programs will not work with the files if the permissions are wrong.

If you are going to move directories or file for Linux machines, it is a
good idea to package them using tar or some other program that will
preserve he permissions.

FWIW, I check the partitions of all my new flash sticks and if they do
not show up properly, I delete the partitions and reformat as vfat.  I
also label my drives so they show up with a better ident on the desktop.

As an example.

    mkfs.vfat -n "Robin_4G_1" -c /dev/sda

Now the drive will mount with the name Robin_4G_1 on the desktop and in
the media directory.  Saves confusion when I have 3 or 4 sticks plugged
in at once for work.

I also do this with my flash cards for my cameras.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.