Fedora vs OpenSuse

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 18 16:22:55 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:
> I read this article this morning and it is interesting and associated to
> the thread.
>
> Red Hat Linux Gets Top Government Security Rating
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132978-c,redhat/article.html
> --------------
> Quote from the article
>
> Linux developers have been working to add these "SE Linux" access
> control features into the operating system for several years now. SE
> Linux shipped as part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, and now it has been
> certified for government use, Frye said. "You now have a level of
> fine-grained control for everybody," he added. "You can set security
> based on groups or based on individuals."
>
> ---------------
>
> Now does F7 follow the same security model or does RHEL5 have additional
> software added?  But the addition of SELinux does improve the security
> of Linux, enough to get certification out of the box.
>
> To me this is a good reason to support Fedora over OpenSuse.

RHEL 5 doesn't have any additional software added which is a key
improvement over other "trusted" operating systems but certifications
are for specific hardware and software combinations are doesn't transfer
to Fedora or even rebuilds but since everything is open if a different
distribution wants to adopt the same technology and go through
certification they could do so.

SELinux is key to this process without which LSPP at EAL4+ level would
be difficult if not impossible for Linux based systems.

http://www.niap-ccevs.org/cc-scheme/st/?vid=10125

Rahul