FC6 "Cannot retreive software information"

Paul Erickson paule at sfu.ca
Mon Jun 18 17:07:58 UTC 2007

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Paul Erickson wrote:
>
>> For some reason, one of my FC6 boxes is no longer able to "Add/Remove
>> software" with Pirut, Pup, or Yum.
>> With Pirut and Pup, after a few seconds I get the "Cannot retrieve software
>> information" error, and if I try
>> a "Yum -y update" I get the following error.
>>
>> [root at localhost core]# yum -y update
>> Setting up Update Process
>> Setting up repositories
>> http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14]
>> HTTP Error 404: Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:59:48 GMT
>> Server: Apache
>> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>>
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: adobe-linux
>>
>> I know the machine is connected to the network, and can browse the internet
>> fine. Another FC6 box on the same
>> network can add/remove update software fine. What might be causing the
>> difference?
>>

> Do you have the adobe-linux repo configured on this other system?
> Trying to browse to the url listed in the errors gives a 404, not
> found error.  So I'd say the problem is with that repo.  You can
> disable that repo and that should fix the error.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, adobe-linux repo is configured on both
systems, but I had forgotten that the box I was
having trouble with was a 64 bit machine, and the other wasn't. I
removed the adobe-linux.reop and now can
add/remove fine. This is my first encounter with this sort of issue. I
assume I should check the offending url
occasionally to see if it is back up, and when it is, put the file back?

Thanks again, very much.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."

“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” - Thomas Mann

"That state which separates it's warriors from it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and fighting done by fools" - Thucydides - The Pelopenisia

"The Malice of the wicked is reinforced by the weakness of the virtuous." - Churchill