tons of spam

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jun 19 15:33:35 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen:
>>> There is no way this list can control how much spam you get.

Tim:
>> Not directly, but there are various measures that mailing list software
>> can do to mitigate against them causing more spam:
>>
>> Making it harder for robots to subscribe themselves.
>> Not supplying lists of members on demand.
>> Munging e-mail addresses written in message bodies.
>> Removing personal addresses from to, CC, reply-to, and from headers.
>>
>> And there's probably a few others that don't occur to me at the moment.
>> But, having said that, not all of them are a good idea to do.  Some
>> anonymising schemes have nasty consequences.

jdow:
> Dear ignored_mailbox, you are demanding the mail servers at the
> mailing list assume an unreasonable additional load. Get a life
> and some real filtering of your own. Or else help pay for the
> mail servers Red Hat uses for Fedora's lists.

You're being an asshole again, you're not paying attention to the thread
(it wasn't me that brought up the complaint about spam), and you
obviously haven't paid attention while reading the last two sentences
that I wrote.

The first two points are things that many e-mail lists should do by
default.  The first even one reduces its workload.  The second one is
not the default action of this mailing list.  You have to log in and set
an option to keep your e-mail address from being supplied on demand.
List-admins are the only ones that need to be able to grab a list of
members.

On the third point, many mailing lists munge addresses in their content.
Not only is a courtesy to their users, removing their list as being a
harvesting point is something that improves its own standing.

And on the fourth point, 'tis a moderately simple thing to remove
personal addresses from headers, and they're not usually needed where
users are generally expected to converse in public.  But, as I said,
anonymising techniques can have nasty consequences.

You're the one that needs to "get a life".  The majority of your
postings that I see on here as moaning bitches about something.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.