yum, rpm, pirut, pup won't run on FC6

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Jun 19 17:29:41 UTC 2007

On Tue June 19 2007 10:12:47 Eric wrote:
> At 09:37 AM 6/19/2007, Claude Jones wrote:
>
> <CJ>>>>>We're all busy, Eric. You can't take the time to
> glance at two days worth of list traffic, but I should
> summarize my efforts of over 36 hours for you.<<<<<
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like that.  Nor did I
> intend for you to go through the effort you just did
> (thanks!).  I thought a one-short-paragraph summary would do
> it.

Don't worry about it - You _did_ sound like that, and I just
wanted to point that out

> I was unable to access the list archives the last few times I
> tried it, don't know why (doesn't have anything to do with
> Linux, have tried and failed on both Windows and Linux boxes)
> but this morning I was able to get through to it and found one
> of the threads you mentioned, the one about "Package managers
> gone haywire".

Fedora-list archives are a pain, mostly, but when you just need
to glance at a couple of days of traffic, they work fine

> Your notes about SELinux are noted, however I have had SELinux
> disabled all along.  I just checked it and it's still
> disabled.

Got it -- yours and my problem may be completely different,
though, I'd bet that your rpm database is messed up

> <CJ>>>>>you seem to have the time to drive to the next city
> over if you must<<<<<
>
> Actually I don't, nto really ... that's the problem.  But, as
> you say, if I "must" then I guess I have to take the time
> whether I have it or not...
>
> I will try all the things you tried, although I am a little
> nervous about deleting all the __db.00x files when three of
> the four of them are still open as reported by lsof.  I think
> that's caused by having to kill the rpm process with SIGKILL,
> which tends not to kill things very cleanly...
>
> I've been toying with the notion of just rebooting the machine
> remotely with "reboot"... I suppose the worst that can happen
> then is I'll have to drive over to the colo facility and fix
> it if it doesn't reboot properly...

Mine took some time - five minutes may not have been enough. Give
it some time before you reboot. On my machine, I did have to go
in and manually remove and reinstall a few packages after all
this -- I ended up redoing all the updates from Saturday, but
most were uneventful. I had a lot of problems with pam and
pam-devel and one or two others, and those took a little more
doing, but not that much.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA