Totem on FC6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:07:11 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>> If you're happy to run patent encumbered software then you can
>> configure the livna repository by installing the rpm at:
>>
>> http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm
>>
>> ..and then run
>>
>> yum install totem-xine
>>
>> ..to install a version of totem which can play DVDs.
>>
> Hi but one problem. When I try to yum install totem-xine it farts around
> and errors out saying the installed totem is in the way. So tried to rpm
> -e totem but libs are not removed because they are used for other
> software packages.
>
>    What now?

Back up a step.  Have you installed any other 3rd party RPMS (i.e. not
from core/extras/livna)?  If so, I'd remove them or start with a fresh
install.  Livna rarely if ever replaces or conflicts with anything in
the stock distribution - and in fact requires it to resolve yum
dependencies.  The other 3rd party repositories make an effort to be
compatible with the base and each other but don't always succeed.  I'd
use them only if necessary.  And, as others have already mentioned, vlc
will play about anything you throw at it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com