Brief diary of an F-7 installation

ne... guhvies at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:40:02 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> Where were you given that choice?
> As far as I can see, you get no choice at all
> unless you opt for a Custom Choice of packages
> (which itself is non-default);
> and then you have to choose the Desktop bundle,
> uncheck Gnome and check KDE.
And that is not all. You then have to go thru each of the other
groupings and uncheck all the other gnome stuff. For instance, why is
it that when you choose KDE and not gnome, gnome-games is selected but
not kdegames??? I thought the whole point of choosing KDE  and
unselecting gnome was to get everything
KDE and nothing gnome.

> Why not give users a simple choice with radio buttons?
Eh, that is not the gnome way. You have to remember choice is bad. It
confuses the user.

> I'm pretty sure the Anaconda/Fedora developers
> have a political preference for Gnome over KDE,
> and so make it more difficult to choose KDE.
> I think people should have a free choice.
Unfortunately they do and that is a fact we all have to live with.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.