fedora 7 wpa_supplicant/ath0 booting problems

Mario Rossi mariofutire at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 19 20:32:57 UTC 2007

>"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <wolfgang rupprecht+gnus200706 gmail com>
>writes:
>
>Playing around it seems that the only way to keep wpa_supplicant happy
>is to start it after the interface is brought up but before dhclient
>is started on the interface.  The simplest way to hack this was to put
>this at the end of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless:
>
># wsrcc hack start
>if [ ! -S /var/run/wpa_supplicant/$DEVICE ]
>then
>   wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -i$DEVICE -Dmadwifi -B
>fi

I've found a different (and in my opinion) better way:

1) start wpa_supplicant service (for some reasons it starts AFTER the
network, you have to change it). (this point is a bit tricky if
multiple wireless interfaces are involved).

2) add something like WPA=yes to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

3) change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless to skip every
settings via iwconfig since wpa_supplicant has already done the job
(if WPA=yes)

In that way wpa_supplicant is run only once.
In your setup, can you actually take the interface down and up again?
It looks to me that, if you don't do 3) the 2nd time the interface
does not go up anymore.

Cheers