Fedora vs OpenSuse

Robert Cates robert at kormar.de
Tue Jun 19 20:58:00 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My University wants to force us all to use OpenSuse. Up to now I'm a
>> happy
>> Fedora user. So can you help to find more arguments why I should keep
>> using
>> Fedora?
>
> In what way can a Uni force someone to use a particular OS?
> Perhaps you mean "My Uni wants to use OpenSuse" (on its own
> computers)". If that's the case, then I don't see why you have
> any stake in the matter. If you can't think of any arguments
> on your own, then ISTM you don't really have a preference. If
> you do prefer FCx, then I suggest you go to your dean and
> present why you prefer FCx.
>
> Personally, I don't think FCx is a good choice for that environment,
> anyway. It's sort of experimental.
>
> Mike
Mike, how is FC5 or FC6 experimental (when we're now on FC7?)?
Jacob, confront your Univ. and ask them if they're getting funding from
SuSE's parent company.  Well, you might not want to do that, but money
moves the world in more ways and places than we can probably imagine.
By-the-way, I'm very fond of both OpenSuSE and FC.

Robert