Fedora vs OpenSuse

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 19 21:19:38 UTC 2007

Robert Cates wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Jacob (=Jouk) Jansen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> My University wants to force us all to use OpenSuse. Up to now I'm a
>>> happy
>>> Fedora user. So can you help to find more arguments why I should keep
>>> using
>>> Fedora?
>>

>> In what way can a Uni force someone to use a particular OS?
>> Perhaps you mean "My Uni wants to use OpenSuse" (on its own
>> computers)". If that's the case, then I don't see why you have
>> any stake in the matter. If you can't think of any arguments
>> on your own, then ISTM you don't really have a preference. If
>> you do prefer FCx, then I suggest you go to your dean and
>> present why you prefer FCx.
>>
>> Personally, I don't think FCx is a good choice for that environment,
>> anyway. It's sort of experimental.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Mike, how is FC5 or FC6 experimental (when we're now on FC7?)?

If you note, I specifically did not refer to any particular
version. The entire project is experimental, IMO. The fact that
something has aged a bit does not make it work better.

> Jacob, confront your Univ. and ask them if they're getting funding from

Confront? About what they want to do with their own equipment?
(At least, I presume.)

> SuSE's parent company.  Well, you might not want to do that, but money
> moves the world in more ways and places than we can probably imagine.
> By-the-way, I'm very fond of both OpenSuSE and FC.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.