Running X in runlevel 3

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Jun 19 21:56:58 UTC 2007

Around 10:49pm on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 (UK time), John Wendel scrawled:

> chkconfig --list | grep 3:on
> chkconfig --list | grep 5:on
>
> On my box, these commands give the same output, so there are no extra
> services started at runlevel 5.
>
> I always start the box in runlevel 3 and use startx. So far, no
> problems. Of course, I don't get the shiny display manager screen.

On my FC6 box, readahead_later is started at runlevel 5, but not at 3.
No idea what this means though (readahead_early is started at both
levels)

You can check to see if there is a different number of services with
/sbin/chkconfig --list | grep -c 3:on
/sbin/chkconfig --list | grep -c 5:on

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 22:54:21 up 2 days, 20:27,  4 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.50, 0.29