fedora 7 wpa_supplicant/ath0 booting problems

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200706 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:56:23 UTC 2007

"Mario Rossi" <mariofutire at googlemail.com> writes:
> I've found a different (and in my opinion) better way:
>
> 1) start wpa_supplicant service (for some reasons it starts AFTER the
> network, you have to change it). (this point is a bit tricky if
> multiple wireless interfaces are involved).
>
> 2) add something like WPA=yes to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
>
> 3) change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-wireless to skip every
> settings via iwconfig since wpa_supplicant has already done the job
> (if WPA=yes)
>
> In that way wpa_supplicant is run only once.

In FC6 I used to start wpa_supplicant at timeslot #9 just before the
nework was started.  For some reason this stopped working in F7.

Perhaps the iwconfigs had less effect in FC6, either due to timing
reasons or something else was preventing them from working if the card
was active.  I'll try playing a bit with a simplified ifup-wireless.

I wonder if ifup-ethernet would work for wpa_supplicant wireless
interfaces .  (Can't test it now since I'm using the wireless to type
this.)

> In your setup, can you actually take the interface down and up again?
> It looks to me that, if you don't do 3) the 2nd time the interface
> does not go up anymore.

In my case if I even sneeze the wrong way wpa_supplicant gets lost and
loops endlessly trying to associate.  Stopping wpa_supplicant and
ifdown, ifup on the interface is the only way out of the loop.  So I
guess the short answer is "yes I have problems restarting the
network".  ;-)

-wolfgang
IPv6 on Fedora 7 http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/fedora/ipv6-tunnel.html