Brief diary of an F-7 installation

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:23:32 UTC 2007

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Surely no one who plans on having more than
>> one subdirectory would voluntarily pick a file manager that leaves an
>> open window at every level if an alternative were presented in an
>> equal context during installation.
>
> I have to agree with you on this problem. The defaults for nautilus are
> insane. Also needing to set choices like text in bar vs. worthless icon
> displays is getting harder to configure. The choices should be browser
> mode as default and the preference screen should have more selections
> vs. scrambling through gconf-editor which needs to be installed so you
> can change bad (IMO) program system behavior options.
>
>> Why would a new user know/care about this instead of just going back
>> to whatever OS they used before when they get annoyed with nautilus
>> behavior?
>>

> Good point! I would think that the system was as advanced as nt4 and
> think. " Turn back! You been down that road before. The bridge is still
> out! "

Back in the old (<8) RH days I always had the feeling that every release
  had an enormous amount of work put into 'user experience' effort,
tuning the device detection, application selection, and default settings
to make everything automatic and usable.  The overall result wasn't as
good as today because the applications weren't as advanced, and trying
to support ISA bus devices was mostly hopeless, but usability seemed to
be the goal.  Now from one release to the next I just see arbitrary
renaming of devices and even the distribution itself, and shuffling
things around in experimental ways.  What happened to designing a good
user experience?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com