Livna Nvidia with Kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7

ne... guhvies at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:54:24 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:21:53AM +0100, ne... wrote:
<snipp>

> No, not quite. lspci tells me:
>
> [root at phoenix ~]# lspci | grep -i '01:00.0'
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)
>
> Assuming that the NVxx numbers are ordinal, that tells me that it is
> an NX17, which is less than NV30. However, it also tells me that the
> card is a GeForce4, presumably greater than a GeForce2. So which is
> it?
I would go with the NVxx which seems to be chipset designations. I
have an FX5200.

> Part of the confusion stems from having multiple numbering sequences:
> the NVxx, the GeForceX, and then the MX xxx series. Which one is
> authoritative? The only thing that should be consistent across all
> cards is the PCI card identifier, assuming that NVIDIA Corp. complies
> with the relevant PCI standard.
I would go with the NVxx.

> Also, the description is badly written. It says that this package
> supports "NV30 (FX series) and newer". It then goes on to say that
> "NV30 and below (such as GeForce2) are NOT supported by this release."
> So does this version support NV30 or not?
Your guess is as good as mine. I guess the writer was not a native
English speaker.

> Finally, the good folks at Livna didn't mention any of this in their
> writeup at http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/LivnaSwitcher, so I had no
> reason to do an "rpm -qif" or even a "yum info" on them.
>
> Where did you get those packages? They don't show up when I ran "yum
> list \*nvidia\*".
I downloaded them soon after FC7 was released from livna. They have
since been updated.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.