Running X in runlevel 3

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Jun 21 03:56:54 UTC 2007

Ian Chapman <packages at amiga-hardware.com> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:
>> > I strongly recommend the "start in run level 3" approach to anyone
>> > having trouble getting their video setup configured.  That way
>> > ctrl-alt-backspace can kill the X session if the need arises and you
>> > don't end up with X cycling until you reboot.
>>

> At least since about FC2 (maybe FC4) this shouldn't generally happen as
> gdm will detect X respawning too fast and popup a console message
> warning that X couldn't be started. It tries something like 5 or 6 times
> before giving up. You are then free to use any of the VTs to fix the issue.
I got in the habit back around Red Hat 5.0 and just never got out of it
until now.  Of course, the habit got reinforced when I played around
with some of the early proprietary drivers and such.  I also did a lot
of teaching myself TCP/IP networking at one point and it was kind of
nice to be able to hop on the system without waiting for X to start
after a reboot.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce