can't connect to wireless router with F7

Adalbert Prokop adalbert.prokop at gmx.de
Thu Jun 21 08:09:29 UTC 2007

Robert P. J. Day wrote on Wednesday 20 June 2007:

> > It looks to me like you are using the "madwifi" driver.  Is
> > that correct?

> um ... i'm not sure.  there's certainly no module loaded with that
> name.  i'm working with a stock F7 system, on which i haven't loaded
> any extra networking functionality, and my current setup worked great
> under FC6 on this same system.

Type lsmod and search for an entry like ath_*, that would look like a
madwifi driver. Another possibility:

# rpm -q madwifi

That would at least tell you if the madwifi driver is installed, but not
necessarily if it is used. As far as I remeber Fedora does not have the
madwifi driver in it's kernel by default, but I'm not really sure about
this.

What you also might try: I also had troubles setting WEP encryption with
my atheros card and a D-Link USB-WLAN adapter. I found out I had to
use "iwpriv <dev> authmode 2" in order to use WEP encryption.

Try incremental bug search. First unencrypted connections. If it works,
try WEP. And if this works you might want to thing about switching to WPA
(because it is more secure, yadda, yadda, yadda...)

--
bye
Adalbert