MS compatible MUAs [was Re: evolution weirdness]

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Jun 21 17:42:45 UTC 2007

Mark Haney wrote:
> Andrew Kelly wrote:
>>> I agree with this BUT...

>>> Most multiple good mail clients are just that: mail clients.
>>>
>>> Evolution doesn't just look like Microsoft Outlook, it provides some
>>> quite useful features if you work in a Microsoft dominated corporate
>>> network, even without using the brain-dead connector.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Are there other MUAs that one can run in Linux that can connect to an
>> Exchange server, other that Evolution? I also am marooned in an MS dominated
>> LAN with the need to access corporate mail. I also use Evolution, as much as
>> I would prefer something quicker and more reliable (and for God's sake, more
>> capable of sensible exportation). But what are the alternative?
>>
>> Andy
>>

> We use Exchange here, and most everyone uses Exchange for us geeks who
> use Linux with Thunderbird and IMAPS on the server.  It's been rock
> solid for the 2 years we've had it in place.

I wish we had IMAP access to the Exchange server.  Or even POP but head
office says no.

Evolution is the only way to go.  After a few months of trying to get to
like Evolutions, I gave up.  I hate the interface in Evolution and I
find it very slow, and impossible to use if you have lots of filters.  I
do not want my mail continuously checked.

My procedure is to open Evolution and move my mail to an export folder
on my local machine.

I then save the file in a sub directory of Thunderbird's local folders.

I then run the filters in Thunderbird and enjoy my email.

Now there is hope in the future with this project.

   http://www.openchange.org/

They have a plugin for Evo 2.8.  Now if there was a plugin for
Thunderbird.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.