F7 Gnome terminal wrapping and clipboard

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jun 21 19:26:23 UTC 2007

There seems to be a problem with gnome terminal, the clipboard and
wrapping. Say I have a very long line in a script, long enough to wrap
in the terminal when it is displayed with less. Say I want to execute
just that line, however long it is.

What I am accustomed to doing is grabbing the text, as is, into the
clipboard, going to another gnome terminal, pasting it in, and
executing it. The line is handled correctly, i.e. the wrap in the
display is not preserved. This is the way X has done it as long as I
can recall.

What I see on F7 is that the line is broken into two (or more) lines
at the wrap point(s). Thus the line is broken and will not execute (or
executes incorrectly, which is worse). This is the way Windows'
command.com and cmd.exe do it.

How do I get back the proper, X, handling?