4GB Flash Memory

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 23 07:01:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 17:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Google tells me the little 4 GB flash memory is available from
> Amazon for $36.00 plus shipping. They are a good outfit. I might order
> one but I still have a question I have not answered.
>
>     The memory is format in VFAT. This is not a problem since I have
> used it to transfer Linux files. My question is how do I put a .iso file
> on the memory so it can be used to upgrade.
>
>     I have by accident put a .iso file on a cd-rom and it is worthless.
> All you see is the file name. Then I learn how to get the software to
> put the .iso on the cd-rom properly and it works fine. Not sure what the
> difference  is....

The difference is that the ISO file is a container of a prepared
filesystem (e.g. what you'd normally see when you list the contents of a
CD-ROM).  Not that far removed from an UNcompressed archive file (as tar
is a tape archive, which can *also* be compressed into a tar.gz).

If you don't mind an expensive experiment, you can try using dd to put
the ISO onto a flashdrive.

dd if=image.iso of=/dev/flashdrive

if means input file.
of means output file.
Change the filename to suite your ISO files real name.
Change the example flashdrive *device* name to what yours really is.

That's a device name like /dev/sde not a mount point like /media/flash.
And it's the whole device, not a partition on it (e.g something
like /dev/sde, not /dev/sde1).

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & CentOS 5.0, in
 case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.