Livna nVidia problems...

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 23 15:09:20 UTC 2007

> I guess I don't understand why that's preferably behavior.  If you
> don't have the nvidia driver installed at boot time, then you're going
> to end up with poor performance regardless.  And I've seen many
> reports of people who ended up with their system falling back to the
> 'nv' driver, they were unaware of it, and complained about poor
> performance.  So the sword cuts both ways.  Its only good if you
> understand what's happening, and in that case, wouldn't it be better
> to just install the nvidia driver?

Well, in my opinion Its preferable in the case when a new kernel (or X
release) comes out that isn't supported by nvidia at that time. This has
happen before. In this case it is a choice between booting into a system
where X is borked, or X is working abeit without 3D. I know which I would
prefer.

> I suppose, but I don't see what's so hard about installing the driver.
>  Its not like its difficult or even time consuming.

its not hard, but takes more than zero, zip effort. Which is what it is once
you have setup your system to use livna and the rpm from there (+ the yum
plugin to only upgrade kernels when all kmods you use are available).

In this case you automatically benefit from the same upgrade system as used by
the rest of your fedora system. If a new kernel comes out you automatically
get the kernel module installed, at the same time as the kernel. So it is
there for the next reboot (no having to boot to the new kernel, start at init
3 build and install the module then restart to init 5).

You also benefit from automatically getting new nvidia drivers when they come
out, since they will just appear as a normal livna update. With the official
installer you have to keep an eye out yourself for updates. I prefer to let
my system do it for me and worry about more important things myself...

cheers Chris