Livna nVidia problems...

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 21:44:55 UTC 2007

On 6/23/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 07:46 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > I suppose, but I don't see what's so hard about installing the driver.
> > Its not like its difficult or even time consuming.
>
> Can be for someone who's not *that* technically savvy, or not on a
> network at the time they need it.

If you're not on a network, yum isn't going to help you either.  As
for being technically savy, I'd argue that using yum requires alot
more technical aptitude than just running
"./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run" as root.

> But *why* even have to do that?  I can swap sound cards, and the system
> sorts itself out.  I don't have to remove this and replace that in
> software, as well.  Likewise for network cards, and other things.
> What's so special about nvidia that it wants to behave like Windows?

It doesn't ship with the distribution.  Any time you start using any
driver which doesn't ship with the distribution, the path to success
will be different.  And there are plenty of GPL'd drivers which don't
ship with the official kernel, so this isn't an issue specific to
NVIDIA.