Livna nVidia problems...

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 13:48:26 UTC 2007

> If you're not on a network, yum isn't going to help you either.  As
> for being technically savy, I'd argue that using yum requires alot
> more technical aptitude than just running
> "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run" as root.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this (again... ;) )

Anyone who is maintaining a linux system (and thus has root access) really
needs to learn about yum in order to get system updates. I would not like to
be a user on a system maintained by someone who doesn't have at least some
basic understanding of the up date system (preferably they should no a lot
about it, its not hard...). Seeing as they have to do this anyway I
(personally) think it is much more convenient to add the nvidia driver to the
same update system.

Really, using the livna rpm + the kmod yum plugin (the atrpm repo has similar
driver and plugin rpms, so if you prefer you can use that one) is a 'set it
up and forget it' solution. Once you have it up and running you can safely
leave the system to update itself (if you want) and be happy that the nvidia
driver will also also be updated each time it is needed. With the official
installer root has to log in each time and run it by hand. No where near as
convenient.

cheers Chris