Volume Control use

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:48:40 UTC 2007

on 6/24/2007 4:59 AM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 6/24/2007 2:15 AM, Tim wrote:
>>
>>> David Boles:

>>> Karl Larsen:

>>> Crossing over onto the wrong thing again, "control" not "manager".
>>>
>>> gnome-volume-control is the audio mixer control GUI.
>>> gnome-volume-manager is to do with disc volumes (mounting drives).
>>>
>> Yes Tim. My mistype. It was called by the wrong name so many times It
>> stuck in my mind.
>>
>> By request I am no longer involved in any of this.
>>

>     That was the problem David. I am new to FC6 and F7 so when you make
> an error I go out and try to make it work. Takes time and adds to the
> irritation level. But last evening I found the problem and my FC6 Alsa
> Mixer is perfect! I am very happy. And I got a Update request which I
> turned off because it was updating the same things I updated! The
> problem is in the gstream files. When you get the right rpm packages it
> works.
>
>     By the way you can be involved real easy. Just do it. I was mad
> yesterday.
>
> Karl

What set you off, it appeared to me, was that my menu structure, which is
similar to the one in Fedora 7, differed from your Fedora Core 6 menu
structure. The Fedora people are forever rearranging the menus. Other
distributions do that also. And I called the program by the wrong name.
Kinda' used what you had been using. My fault there.  ;-)

What I was really trying to do was to get you to run the mixer from the
CLI. That way you get a better idea of what is going on. It is very
difficult to try to help someone when you can not 'see' what they are
doing or 'see' what is happening. Even more so when 'I' can't make my
system fail like what is being described.

You said you fixed your problem but the problem with the way that you
fixed what was not working was the changing of so many packages at the
same time. Now you will never know which one package, or maybe more, was
broken.

BTW - You do know that you, yourself, can change your menus? Move things
around. Change names.

--

  David