Bluetooth support

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Jun 25 14:54:25 UTC 2007

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 20:15 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>

>> Usually, when I turn on my "thing" it works pretty good and all concerned
>> are satisfied....or at least they say they are.
>>

> ROFL, now THAT was funny right der :P

    This should answer all your questions.

    I Went to Google to find a good understanding of BlueTooth as it
applies to Fedora Core 6. Here is a definition from the Google page:

Bluetooth and IEEE 802.11 are two communication protocol standards
defining a physical layer and a MAC layer for wireless communications
within a short range (from few meters up to hundred meters) with low
power consumption (from less than 1 mW up to hundred mW). Bluetooth is
oriented towards connections among close devices, acting as a substitute
for cables, while IEEE 802.11 is oriented towards computer-to-computer
connections, as an extension or a substitution of cabled LANs. We offer
an overview of the these popular wireless communications standards,
comparing their main features and behavior in terms of various metrics
among which capacity, network topology, quality of service support and
power consumption.

    If you have trouble understanding the definition I do understand it
and it says:

Bluetooth needs two radio stations that can transmit and receive
information in the frequency band of around 1400 MHz. These radios are
tiny and operate from 1.0 volts DC. They cost about $10.00 in vast
quantity and this makes the system ideal for a Cell-Phone add-on, or a
devise you buy to replace the cable between two computers.

    I got a new cell-phone for being a customer for 2 years. This one
has everything including BlueTooth. I found that the radio you put in
your ear cost like $50.00. So I waited. I found one for $20.00 and it
works just fine. I can answer my phone without taking it off my hip and
talk as if we were phone to phone.

    So why does Fedora Core 6 have a tab called BlueTooth? It is there
because if you Buy a BlueTooth radio system and hook it to your computer
and tell your computer this is another Ethernet port, it will be using
BlueTooth.

    I have no idea what the FC6 BlueTooth software does and will not
find out. Because I don't need computer BlueTooth.

Karl