white screen using beryl

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jun 25 16:40:53 UTC 2007

tkobayas at indiana.edu wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have just installed FC7 on my personal computer. My configuration is this
>
> Asus M2NPV-VM
> Athlon X2 5200 (no overclock)
> Wintec 4*2GB DDR2 800
> Onboard nVidia GeForce 6150
> Hitachi 250GB sata HDD
> NEC 3550 DVD/CD+-RW
> OCZ 780W PSU
>
> I have two questions: one for nVidia driver installation and the other
> for errors on Beryl and desktop effect.
>
> For Nvidia driver installation, I exit the X windows system by
> 1. Ctrl + Alt + F1
> 2. Enter as a root
> 3. telinit 3 to exit X
> 4. sh NVIDIA-Linux-******.sh
>
> Then I got an error message saying "cannot find kernel." Did anyone have
> the same problem? Could you kindly tell me how to solve this?
>
> For the second question, I am not sure if this is because my onboard
> video is so slow to begin with. But, when I activate beryl it just gets
> so slow and the screen becomes totally white. Also, I cannot activate
> Desktop Effect.
>
> Although I am using my linux system for workstation purpose, I wanted to
> see how cool Beryl looks like one in Macintosh system.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Taka

For the nvidia driver, I use the livna rpm.  It is much easier to use.
I have not tried F7 yet so I am not sure how well it works.

I had an issue with network mounting my home directory on an Ubuntu
machine and I got a white screen.  It was caused by a file in one of the
gnome config directories.  It is something I will be watching for when I
install F7 on my home machines in the coming weeks.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.