Bluetooth support

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 19:24:26 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure we're talking about the wireless devices, not dongles.
>> My bluetooth dongle (actuall built into my laptop) is recognized
>> perfectly well and works so far (transferring files to/from my cell phone).
>>
>> Let's concentrate on a single one for now: bluetooth headphones (though
>> I'm sure there are lots more devices that can be improved). Another
>> closely related device is a bluetooth headset (headphone & microphone -
>> the BT device you would use with your cell phone)
>> It's easy to connect the headphones to FC6, but nothing happens after
>> that. I'd like to be able to actually hear music through them.
>>
> From what I have read, I don't remember the op telling us if he has
> bluetooth built into his, machine, is using a dongle, or is trying
> to use bluetooth without any bluetooth device on the computer end.
> Unfortunately, having the bluetooth configuration software on the
> system is not an indication that you have bluetooth hardware on the
> computer. It might be a good idea to make sure there is supported
> hardware on the computer end as a first step.
>
> Mikkel

I *am* the OP :)
Sorry that I wasn't clear in my OP, btw...

Yes, I have BT hardware built into my laptop. I don't have any problems
activating it and getting kdebluetooth to work - I'm able to pair my
devices with my laptop. Problem is, although I can connect my
headphones, I can't do anything further. By "anything further" I mean
for example redirect Amarok's playback onto those headphones.

There's a bluetooth-alsa project, as Rogue mentioned in this thread -
but getting it to work is a very painful experience - "average" user
will not even attempt it.

In contrast, in Windows, all I have to do is to pair the device and the
driver automatically redirects all sounds to these headphones. Not what
I want, necessarily (separate audio devices would be nice) but it *works*.