Apple 30" Monitor

Michael J. McGillick michael_mcgillick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 23:11:23 UTC 2007

Hi:

I'm running Fedora 7 on a Mac Pro with an ATI Radeon X1900 XT and an Apple
30" HD Cinema LCD monitor. I've been doing a lot of reading on how to
properly set up my xorg.conf file, however, I've not been able to get very
far. I'd appreciate any help, or pointers in the right direction.

The problems I'm having are:

 - The highest resolution that the I can set through System > Administration
> Display is 1920 x 1440 (This monitor supports 2560x1600).

 - In all resolutions, the font is incredibly fuzzy. I have to leave the
monitor set at 1280x1024, as any higher resolution and the text is
unreadable.

 - The background graphics and images are also fuzzy.

To date, here is what I've done:

 - Installed Fedora - In the Gnome desktop, if I go to System >
Administration > Display, on the Hardware tab, I'm told that the monitor
type is Cinema HD (autoconfigured) and the Video Card is ATI Technologies
Inc R580 [Radeon X1900 XT] (Primary). This leads me to believe that the
Fedora installer recognized my hardware.

 - Examined xorg.conf - If I look in xorg.conf, I see a listing for vesa
instead of the Radeon driver. I did some reading and apparently there is a
problem with the current 8.37.6 version of the ATI driver in that it
segfaults the X server. (Please correct me if my understanding is wrong)

 - Followed several different threads that talk about similar problems to
mine, but never a solution posted. In many cases, the user had the same
graphics card as mine, but not the same monitor.

 - Researched how to configure an LCD monitor in xorg.conf only to learn
that most LCD monitors do not have a refresh rate in the traditional sense,
and so you can leave the entire monitor section out of xorg.conf.
Apparently it gets detected automatically.

I'm a new user and would really like to be able to get up and running.
As with any new user, I'm frustrated that I haven't been able to figure it
out on my own. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, and could
really use some help.

The xorg.conf that got created was:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Michael