problems upgrading from FC6 to F7

Marc linuxr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 00:27:18 UTC 2007

I will have to side with Jim on this one.  My windblows load is full
of holes and is a spyware target, I cannot use it long without running
spy cleaning crap and getting rid of all kinda crap.

[BTW I keep it around because I am being forced to, due to license
related crap from the CBTNuggets training CDROM I have which is
windows- only (likely my last purchase from them).  ]

I only had one thing with LABEL= which IIRC was my  / partition.  I
did try resizing the partitions, renaming / to /old and creating a new
/ partition.  When Fedora came up it has a /old but there is nothing
in it.  Also I did the 'rescue' mode thing and when it mounted the OS
under /mnt/sysimage I THEN tried things like recursively copying
/mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab to /etc/ and even copying /mnt/sysimage/etc/
to /etc.  Neither option 'stuck' for the reboot, and I am not sure why
they weren't written to disk.  Maybe I should've dd'd them there?
Also I monkeyed with rem-ing out certain lines within fstab but that
was unproductive as well.

Next time I'll read the release notes FIRST to see if there is a
'rescue' option or setting to pick up on.  In my case I didn't lose
any huge amounts of data or anything too critical, so I just wound up
reinstalling from scratch.

Also fyi I have discovered that basically whether you tell F7 to
install a boot loader, OR whether you choose 'do not install a boot
loader' (pretty straightforward right?) ---it screws with your boot
settings regardless.

Thanks for the help guys.

Marc