Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 26 02:47:18 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:

Sorry to reply through you, Les. Somehow I lost the original on this.

> Robert Cates wrote:
>
>> I don't believe what I'm hearing/reading here!  You mean there's Linux
>> fans out there that don't even know what the Open Source/Free Software
>> movement was/is all about?

There are a lot of Linux users who disagree with what some of the
promoters of Free Software have as goals. I, for one, disagree
strongly with Richard Stallman and his goals.

> I think there is a rather large base that doesn't see it as a religious
> issue and would prefer for everything to work together, letting them use
> whatever is best for any situation, making their own decisions about the

Absolutely, Les.

> cost vs. value of the proprietary parts.  That's more or less what open
> source is about, and where it differs from the free software movement.

I can't imagine that I'll ever use the GPL or LGPL for anything I
produce.

>> So in my opinion, I see these major distro companies heading in the
>> wrong direction (and for the wrong reasons), and I'm wanting less and
>> less to do with them.  I might as well go back to MS Windows.  Instead
>> of one monopoly, we're going to have half-a-dozen, or more.

A multitude of monopolies is an oxymoron.

> Any number larger than one is better than only one.  And if they all
> interoperate correctly without worrying about whether they have to use
> an infringing library to do it, so much the better.

We agree here, Les.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.