FC6 boot issue - please help

Parth Pathak parthpathak at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 02:47:29 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have been using FC6 for almost 6 months without any problems till today. I upgraded several available packages through package manager alert and upon reboot I could not get the system up and running again.

it gave me an error regarding file systems like -
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

I tried doing fsck -A -y and tried rebooting it but it still ends up with the same error again and again.

I have FC6 rescue disk but I really dont understand how to use it.
after googling I figured out that once the filesystem is mounted at /mnt/syslinux, I should modify the /etc/fstab file entries.

I really dont understand what to modify, /etc/fstab looks like -
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00            /                ext3         defaults                        1    1
LABEL=/boot                                           /boot          ext3            defaults                        1    2
devpts                                                          /dev/pts      devpts        gid=5,mode=620            0     0
tmpfs                                                            /dev/shm      tmpfs         defaults                                0     0
proc                                                            /proc              proc           defaults                              0    0
sysfs                                                             /sys                sysfs          defaults                                0    0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01           swap           swap       defaults                        0    0

this all is really gibberish for a newbie like me. please help me to recover the system as I have much of important data on the drive.
I have one 80 GB harddrive with no partition on it. there is no dual boot or anything else and it just has FC6.

it looks like its a fairly common problem and please please help me to recover from this..

anticipating ur help,

thanks
parth