ssh - cannot log in

David Katz david at davidkatzconsulting.com
Wed Jun 27 04:02:27 UTC 2007

I'm using Putty under XP to try to login to FC6 but it times out.

I can ping the external ip from my laptop.

Here's my iptables --list:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp
dpt:http flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ssh
flags:SYN,RST,ACK/SYN
ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:xdmcp
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:xdmcp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:x11
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:x11-ssh-offset
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

I've tried without the windows firewall. The router is open to port 22
and nats over to what I think is my workstation (how can I check this?)

Thanks for any help.

Note - ultimately I'd like to use X but right now I'm just trying to get
a login prompt.