F7 Cups idling at booting

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 15:12:17 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 27 June 2007, antonio montagnani wrote:
>2007/6/27, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>:
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> Real Programmers don't write in PL/I.  PL/I is for programmers who can't
>> decide whether to write in COBOL or FORTRAN.
>>
>> --
>
>Gene,
>
>please check my last message, about modified hosts file.
>
>I still do not understand
>[antonio at MAXDATA ~]$ host maxdata
>Host maxdata not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>[antonio at MAXDATA ~]$ host MAXDATA
>Host MAXDATA not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>[antonio at MAXDATA ~]$ host Maxdata
>Host Maxdata not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>[antonio at MAXDATA ~]$
>
>and my hosts file is:
>
># Do not remove the following line, or various programs
># that require network functionality will fail.
>127.0.0.1	Maxdata	localhost.localdomain	localhost
This is not     ^^^^^^^ exactly kosher, I believe it should be on a separate
line that looks something like this, adjust the ipv4 address accordingly
though.
192.168.1.2	your-full-domain-name 	alias 	alias
I don't have any ipv6 stuff setup yet and don't fully understand it, but this
line from my hosts file is how I'm doing it.

192.168.71.3	coyote.coyote.den	coyote

Because the 192.168 block is NOT allowed past a router, I can use any name as
the FQDN of my local network.
And your cups.configs can use a syntax such as
192.168.71.3:631
and all the other machines on the local network that have cups configured like
that in their cups client.conf files can use this printer as if it was a
locally connected printer.

If the client machines also have that line in their hosts file, then they can
use syntax such as "coyote:631" in the client.conf files just as easily.

Note that all of this may be rendered obsolete by ipv6, which I haven't
attempted to grok yet.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)